Committees Make Things Happen
Waukegan Main Street operates under the Main Street Approach®, a unique preservation-based economic development tool that leverages local assets to revitalize older, struggling downtowns.
The Main Street Approach® is reflected in four standing committees coordinated by Waukegan Main Street’s executive director—Design, Organization, Promotions and Economic Development.
Members address the “look” of the downtown, focusing on projects that create an inviting environment.
- Update the historic building survey database and pursue local landmark status for individual properties (in conjunction with the Historic Preservation Commission of Waukegan).
- Educate residents about historic preservation and design through the annual Architectural Scavenger Hunt and our Landmark Plaques program.
- Provide design assistance and incentives through the Sign, Lighting and Awning Program to update storefronts and signage.
- Beautify the downtown with street furniture, landscaping, plantings and more.
- Design Committee meetings: fourth Thursday of the month, 6pm, Fong’s Kitchen, 38 N. Genesee St.
Members bring the community together, building consensus and cooperation among downtown interests and other stakeholders. Volunteers also assist the Board of Directors with fundraising efforts.
- Hold fundraisers, such as Mardi Gras and the Lunch with the Mayor.
- Hold the Annual Meeting
- Host a Volunteer Appreciation Reception.
- Coordinate membership activities and recruit new volunteers.
- Publish our Annual Report.
- Organization Committee meetings are ad hoc. If you would like to be part of the Organization Committee, call the office at (847) 623-6650.
Members “sell” the positive image and promise of the Main Street district to visitors, investors and new businesses. By creating special events, marketing campaigns and retail promotions, they bring people to our downtown shops, arts venues and restaurants and communicate Waukegan’s unique character.
- Promote local businesses and special events.
- Participate in parades and local community events.
- Develop and publicize a comprehensive calendar of all downtown events.
- Use social media to attract new event attendees and volunteers.
- Host special events, such as Wine & Art Stroll and Small Business Saturday.
- New meetings times will be announced in 2016. If you are interested in joining the Promotions Committee, contact us at email@example.com or call 847-623-6650.
Economic Development Committee
Members help existing downtown businesses grow and attract new businesses that fit the downtown’s unique market niche. Main Street programs help convert unused space into productive properties and cultivate local and regional entrepreneurship.
- Program events designed to retain current businesses and recruit new businesses.
- Serve current businesses with economic development technical assistance, kiosk advertising, and reviews of logistics of advertising, parking and customer outreach.
- Pursue relationships with regional organizations and develop new partnerships that help make downtown Waukegan a friendly destination for business, shopping, arts and entertainment.
- Develop mechanisms to identify and attract specific consumer groups.
- Economic Development Committee meetings are ad hoc. If you would like to be part of the Economic Development Committee, call the office at (847) 623-6650.