Share Your Time and Talents as a Volunteer
Volunteers are the heart of Waukegan Main Street. Our dedicated volunteers work events; update our website; handle our social media; hand out event flyers to theater patrons, shop owners, and ArtWauk attendees; take pictures and shoot video; create newsletters and flyers; sell raffle tickets; stuff envelopes … and so much more!
Whether you can share your time and talents on a regular basis or an hour or two on a will-call basis, you can make a difference as a volunteer with Waukegan Main Street.
Want to Help with an Event?
- ArtWauk is every month on the third Saturday from 5 – 10pm. ArtWauk volunteer opportunities include clean up and ambassador duties. Be part of a same team of people who clean up the area on Saturday morning before the event – usually takes about two hours. Ambassadors work the night of the event and hand out programs, answer questions and direct individuals to the galleries, restaurants and businesses – usually two hours shifts.
- Mardi Gras is generally February or March, but planning starts in November! Volunteer efforts for this event include: event planning, stuffing and stamping mailings, decorating before the event, securing silent auction items, publicity, staffing info and silent auction tables, cleaning up and putting everything back in storage.
- Lunch with the Mayor is the second Monday in May. Volunteer efforts for this event include: event planning, stuffing and stamping mailings, decorating before the event, publicity, staffing check-in (and sometimes silent auction tables.)
- Wine & Art Stroll is the last Saturday August. Volunteer efforts for this event include: event planning, securing participants, arranging for entertainment, publicity, staffing registration tables and much more.
- Small Business Saturday is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Volunteer efforts for this event include: event planning, decorating before the event, arranging for entertainment and publicity and so much more.
Want to Help with a Short-Term Project?
- Contribute to our Blog. Help keep Waukegan Main Street’s website up-to-date with the latest about what’s going on downtown; finding resources for businesses; sharing pictures of an event you attended. Computer skills helpful. Writing experience preferred. Ongoing project, open hours.
- Serve as a Website Ambassador. You can help a local business establish its presence on Facebook, Yelp, Google Places and/or a custom website. Placement with a specific business is based on the volunteer’s experience. Ongoing project, open hours.
- Assemble an electronic presentation about Signage, Lighting, Awning Program (SLAP) projects along with the Design Committee. Experience needed: computer skills, graphic design background. This project should take about three to five hours.
- Build partnership by creating new partner packets, helping with mailings, and working on our branding. Ongoing project, two to four hours per month.
- Create the email calendar every other week. Computer skills needed. Experience with Constant Contact helpful, but not necessary. Ongoing project, four hours every other week.
Want to Help with Long-Term Projects?
- Serve on any of four standing committees: Design, Organization, Promotions or Economic Development. Committee members plan projects and events that help make downtown Waukegan an exciting place to live, work and play.
- Serve on the Board of Directors to guide the direction of the organization.
Waukegan Main Street follows the national Main Street Approach®, a proven four-point model for community and economic development through historic preservation. Read about it at About WMS, or at the Illinois Main Street website.
For details about volunteering, please contact the Waukegan Main Street office at 847-623-6650.