Waukegan Main Street is always looking for awesome, enthusiastic VOLUNTEERS!
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact our office at 847-623-6650 or
, or come to one of our upcoming committee meetings.
OUR VOLUNTEERS ...
work our events ... work in the office ... hand out event fliers to theater patrons, shop owners, and Metra commuters ... create event fliers ... take pictures ... shoot video ... create newsletters ... sell raffle tickets ... stuff envelopes ... serve on committees to plan the projects and events that are the substance of Main Street ... serve on the Board of Directors to guide the direction of the organization ... AND MORE!
There are all kinds of ways to help WMS bring more people and more businesses to downtown Waukegan. Here are our NEW OPPORTUNITIES to get involved:
- Serve as a Web Ambassador through our Promotions Committee to aid local business owners in establishing their presences on Facebook, Yelp, Google Places and/or a custom website. Placement with a specific business will be based on volunteer's experience. Ongoing project, open hours. Email
- Work with our Design Committee to put together an electronic presentation of our past SLAP projects (details on program below). Experience needed: computer skills, graphic design background, 3-5 hour time commitment before end of April. To volunteer, email
- Help with our annual spring fundraiser, Lunch with the Mayor, through Organization Committee. We are seeking volunteers to help send invitations, tally responses, and prepare for the event at the Genesee Theatre. To volunteer, email
- Coordinate our spring entrepreneurial event, Night on Main Street, with Economic Restructuring Committee. Volunteers with a small business or development background are encouraged to attend our next committee meeting to learn more about this event! For more details, email
WMS also has ongoing opportunities to volunteer through our committees! To learn more about what our committees do, read more about the National Main Street approach, a proven 4-point model for community & economic development through historic preservation on the Illinois Main Street website and check out what we do at Waukegan Main Street:
- Organization Committee - meets 2nd Wednesdays at 7pm
Organization brings the community together. Building consensus and cooperation among multiple district stakeholders is readily addressed by the local program’s volunteers and by the Main Street board and committee structure representing both downtown and stakeholder interests. At WMS, Organization Committee works to recruit volunteers, coordinate membership, plan fundraisers, and spread the word about everything we do for the community. If you are a volunteer with strong organizational skills who is detail-oriented, enjoys coordinating events, or is passionate about getting more people involved with our organization, Organization Committee is for you!
- Promotion Committee - meets 2nd Thursdays at 5:30pm
Promotion sells both the image and promise of the Main Street district to shoppers, investors, new businesses, and visitors. With an effective promotion strategy, the Main Street district’s positive image is promoted through retail promotions, special events, and marketing campaigns implemented by the local program. At WMS, Promotion Committee works to support our existing businesses by planning events to bring people to our downtown neighborhood and into our shops and restaurants, to find new ways of reaching people who don't yet know everything Genesee Street has to offer. We're especially seeking volunteers with experience in graphic design, marketing, event planning, logistics, or being a generally good person. Ways that you can help with Promotions Committee include:
- ***Special volunteer opportunity: HolidayWauk, December 8th - volunteers needed to help decorate in advance and to help with check-in day of
- Attend Promotions Committee Meetings – help plan events and other things we do.
- “Show Up & Work” Options – show up to events to set up tents, hand out literature, direct parking, register attendees, decorate downtown, paint, stuff folders, walk in parades, etc.
- Digital Promotions – use facebook to invite friends, write blog posts, help improve our website, help write our newsletters, use digital tools to bring in new audiences.
- ArtWauk Support Team – hand out fliers, maintain lists of artists/musicians/participants, update the website, do digital promotion,
- Sponsorships – work with our WMS staff to secure sponsorships, donations, etc. for events.
- Be a Liaison – do you have knowledge or connections with a certain group of people? Help book bands, tell young people about WMS, solicit wine donations, get your company to consider sponsoring events, etc.
- Translate – translate written materials, help us reach out more to monolingual spanish speakers.
- Design Work – create graphics, lay out literature, improve website, more. Attend downtown events -
- Bring a Friend -
- Other- if you bring a specialty to the table, or have ideas for helping downtown, tell us!
- Design Committee - meets 4th Thursdays at 5:30pm
Design addresses the district’s physical environment. Capitalizing on the district’s best assets, such as historic buildings and traditional layout, is one part of Main Street design work. Other design-related activities, such as merchandising, wayfinding, sidewalks, and landscaping, help convey a visual message about what Main Street has to offer. At WMS, Design Committee works to assist businesses improve their building facades with our Sign, Lighting and Awning Program: a program that provides 50% reimbursement to our member businesses for approved exterior renovations, up to $10,000 per project. Design Committee also works with the Historic Preservation Commission of Waukegan to landmark buildings and educate the community about our history. We are especially seeking volunteers with experience in architecture, historic preservation, streetscaping, building restoration, or an interest in learning more about downtown Waukegan's history.
- Economic Restructuring Committee - meets 2nd Tuesdays at 5:30pm
Economic Restructuring improves the commercial district economy. By helping existing businesses expand and recruiting new business that respond to today’s market, Main Street programs help convert unused space into productive properties and cultivate local and regional entrepreneurship. At WMS, Economic Restructuring Committee works to help our business owners grow their businesses and promote opportunities for new businesses to come to downtown. Volunteers with experience in economic development, real estate, business finance and marketing, or new ideas for business recruitment are invited to join ER Committee!